Here in NY I believe we're suppose to have both...
Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:27am
by law. Smoke detectors and CO detectors. When we bought our house like 6+ years ago the previous owner was like "I didn't have time to install these, but here's a box with a bunch of detectors to install".
We agreed to them and some how having the detectors available in the box like that was enough to cover the legal aspect of it... even if not, it worked.
CO is some scary stuff though, I almost died from it about 11 years ago. My friends and I built a building in my Mom's backyard that was a fully complete living room. We ran power to it and everything. In the winter, we used a little propane heater to heat the place. Well, anyway... one night I had a few drinks and was watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the heater on. I woke up at around 7am with the worst headache of my life and the heater was off. (It ran out of gas... just to add, when it ran low, it just pumped pure propane into the room once the flame flickered off). There were no windows or vents in the building either and we used heavy duty insulation. This building would get warm from just body heat alone.
So yeah, I stumbled out of the building into my backyard and made my way to the house. I ended having the worst headache of my life for the next day or so. Honestly, if I hadn't woken up then, I may have died. I didn't have enough drinks to warrant a headache that bad.
Loooooong story short, after that, I got a CO detector for the place. We didn't get to use it more than a year more before my Mom moved away and sold the house but at least we had the safety measure there just in case.
I'll never even think to tempt with CO anything in a confined space anymore after that near death experience.
air, so after 7 years the CO detector just won't work.
I'm sure the manufacturers don't mind. Why develop something better if they have a guaranteed revenue stream? (They're also required by law in many places and if you've got gas appliances and don't have them you NEED to get one. Seriously.... more
Here in NY I believe we're suppose to have both...- Erik_,Mon Nov 01 2021 2:27am
We had a water heater going bad that started releasing CO one night but the detector caught it. It might have affected the cat, though, as she came in and laid down which was unusual for her--around a crowd (we had some family over) she'd rather be somewhere else. Once she was moved outside she we... more